Lakes and Ponds
Adaqua Limited are expert Lake and Pond Design and Builders with over 18 years’ experience. No matter what size or budget, Adaqua will work with you every step of the way to achieve the perfect project. To design and build a lake or a pond is not as simple as dig a hole, line it and fill it with water – many factors are missed and forgotten. With our experience and passion, Adaqua can provide you with the research, initial designs - which are crucial for a successful outcome and together detailed discussions will address all the requirements and practicalities involved before proceeding.
Important things to consider in the early stages of the project are:
- The Location may seem obvious but many factors are often overlooked, primarily: -
- Planning restrictions
- Objections from neighbours
- Future planting schemes, opportunities to extend
- Mature trees in the way or the wrong variety
- Safety for children and pets
- Protection from predators
- Access for maintenance
- Exposure to sun or pollution risks
- Other factors that have a major influence on the depth, area and construction techniques used are: -
- ground conditions including slopes
- water tables
- Types of soil and bedrock
- certain shapes may be inappropriate for the correct circulation without complicated pumping systems, resulting in more expensive liners and longer installation times
Highly qualified staff at Adaqua will take you through all of these steps as well as discussing:
- Edging - Pond and Lake edging will need a variety of stabilising techniques for natural stone, concrete paving slabs, wood or turf. The choice will influence the long-term use and appearance of the project.
- Excavation – Lake and Pond Excavation is often seen as the easiest stage of construction but the right decisions must be made to achieve the most efficient and cost effective solution. Pond and Lake volume, size, the spoil disposal, facilities, access, and time all determine whether digging is by hand or mechanical.
- Equipment - Selection of equipment is a complex process, with hundreds of pumps, ultraviolet lamp assemblies, filters, and aeration devices on the market. The right combination, size and duty will ensure optimum performance, low maintenance, and good longevity.
- Economics – The economics of operating an installation will affect the decision to proceed and savings need to be made wherever possible to improve efficiency. With plenty of new products available (saving upto 50% of energy) combined with various water saving techniques - even greater reductions in running costs can be achieved.
- Water loss - Loss has been dramatically reduced with the use of new, tougher rubber lining systems which have improved jointing methods and increased resistance to ultraviolet damage. Treatment and lining of formed concrete and block work has improved significantly with the increased use of GRP and gel coating effectively eliminating leakage.
The main goal of the Lake or Pond Design and Build is to bring you closer to nature and provide a truly peaceful and relaxing area of beauty to your outdoor space. Combining the spectacular colours from the fish and plants with the sound of running water really can really create that little bit of heaven.
Adaqua have designed and built ponds and lakes of all sizes but whatever the size accurate budgeting is one of the most difficult tasks and a common failing! With our experience it is possible to forecast and control the overall costs to within a small percentage of the initial quotes.